How to Change a Flat Tire
Need to learn how to change a flat tire so that you’re prepared in an emergency? While Jaguar Roadside Assistance is always a call away, knowing how to change a flat tire is an important skill to have. Follow these recommended steps from the Jaguar Darien service department!
Tools Needed to Change a Tire
Make sure to have these tools in your car in case you need to change your tire:
- Spare tire
- JackLug wrench
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Flares and reflective triangles
- Wheel wedges
Steps to Change a Flat Tire
Follow these steps when changing a tire.
- Find a safe spot, such as a quiet side street, a parking lot, or the shoulder on an off ramp. Place flares or reflective triangles behind your vehicle.
- Take out your spare tire and tools, and begin by placing wheel wedges against the tires opposite of the flat.
- Remove the hubcap and loosen the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
- Move the jack underneath the car and expand it until the flat tire is about 6 inches off the ground.
- At this point, remove the lug nuts and take the flat tire off.
- Get the spare tire in place, replace the lug nuts and tighten by hand.
- Lower the vehicle back to the ground and tighten the lug nuts with the wrench.
- Return the hubcap to its original position, and check the pressure on your spare tire.
Once you’ve changed the tire, make sure to get to a repair shop as soon as possible to get a full-size tire. Driving long distances or at high speeds is not advised on a donut or spare tire.
When to Contact Roadside Assistance
There are certain situations where it’s safer to contact roadside assistance than change the flat tire yourself, including:
- Poor road and traffic conditions
- Inclement weather, such as torrential downpours or heavy snow
- Passenger safety is at risk
- Equipment is in poor shape
Schedule Service with Jaguar Darien
Connect with Jaguar Darien near Stamford for more information on tire care or to schedule service to fix your flat tire. We’ll make sure your vehicle is in excellent condition to participate in family activities around Greenwich, CT! You can also get more automotive tips at our service center, like how to unlock a steering wheel–contact us today!
More from Jaguar Darien
Exploring the 2019 Jaguar XJ configurations? There are a total of six Jaguar XJ trim levels to choose from, so you’ll have your work cut out for you. Here’s what you should know starting out: The first thing you’ll need to do is choose your wheelbase. There are two available trims with the standard wheelbase,…
You like to drive your beloved Jaguar vehicle your way— and with Jaguar OEM accessories, you can make every ride even more your own. Express yourself throughout Darien with stylish exterior accents or better equip your interior for your devices and cargo. Read on below to explore some of the many ways you can outfit…
Jaguar drivers in Greenwich know that they’re in control of one of the highest-performing vehicles on the market. The 2020 Jaguar F-TYPE R goes from 0-60 MPH in a mere 3.9 seconds, with a top speed of 186 MPH. Check out more impressive Jaguar F-TYPE specs below. Find a New Jaguar F-TYPE for Sale Jaguar…