How to Change a Flat Tire
Need to learn how to change a flat tire so that you’re prepared in an emergency? While Jaguar Roadside Assistance is always a call away, knowing how to change a flat tire is an important skill to have. Follow these recommended steps from the Jaguar Darien service department!
Tools Needed to Change a Tire
Make sure to have these tools in your car in case you need to change your tire:
- Spare tire
- JackLug wrench
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Flares and reflective triangles
- Wheel wedges
Steps to Change a Flat Tire
Follow these steps when changing a tire.
- Find a safe spot, such as a quiet side street, a parking lot, or the shoulder on an off ramp. Place flares or reflective triangles behind your vehicle.
- Take out your spare tire and tools, and begin by placing wheel wedges against the tires opposite of the flat.
- Remove the hubcap and loosen the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
- Move the jack underneath the car and expand it until the flat tire is about 6 inches off the ground.
- At this point, remove the lug nuts and take the flat tire off.
- Get the spare tire in place, replace the lug nuts and tighten by hand.
- Lower the vehicle back to the ground and tighten the lug nuts with the wrench.
- Return the hubcap to its original position, and check the pressure on your spare tire.
Once you’ve changed the tire, make sure to get to a repair shop as soon as possible to get a full-size tire. Driving long distances or at high speeds is not advised on a donut or spare tire.
When to Contact Roadside Assistance
There are certain situations where it’s safer to contact roadside assistance than change the flat tire yourself, including:
- Poor road and traffic conditions
- Inclement weather, such as torrential downpours or heavy snow
- Passenger safety is at risk
- Equipment is in poor shape
Schedule Service with Jaguar Darien
Connect with Jaguar Darien near Stamford for more information on tire care or to schedule service to fix your flat tire. We’ll make sure your vehicle is in excellent condition to participate in family activities around Greenwich, CT! You can also get more automotive tips at our service center or find out how to read tire numbers online–contact us today!
More from Jaguar Darien
A new 2021 Jaguar F-PACE is priced at $49,995 MSRP* as standard, but Stamford’s buyers will have four trim levels to consider. Each has plenty to offer, but which Jaguar F-PACE configuration is right for you? Our comprehensive 2021 Jaguar F-PACE price list has everything that you need to know. Contact Us View…
2022 Jaguar E-PACE mpg estimates top out at 21 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. If you’re looking for a high-performance Jaguar SUV that also delivers impressive fuel economy, the compact E-PACE is bound to feel like a perfect fit for your needs. View Our E-PACE InventoryBrowse Our E-PACE Lease Offers Jaguar E-PACE Fuel Economy…
Qualifying for a car loan almost always requires a credit check, but credit isn’t the end-all, be-all of the decision making process. Your lender will need to consider several factors when you submit your application, so you should be prepared to provide additional details on your income and your ability to pay. Of course, you’ll…